L.A.'s WWII Chinese
19th Century Shrine Restoration
LA Chinatown Heritage & Visitors Center
Wednesdays through Fridays 11am-3pm and Sundays 12pm-4:30pm)
Los Angeles, CA 90012
This website is produced by CHSSC
American History Resources |
Angel Island Immigration Station Foundation
Chinese American Historical Society - Chicago, Illinois
Chinese Historical Society of America - San Francisco,
Historical Society of New England
- Boston, Massachusetts
Chinese Historical Society of Southern California - Los Angeles, California
Fiddletown Preservation Society- Fiddletown, California
Mai Wah Society - Butte, Montana
Bahay Tsinoys - Manila, Philippines
Chinese American Museum - Los Angeles, California
Chinese American Museum of Chicago - Chicago, Illinois
Dai Loy Museum - Locke,
Mai Wah Museum - Butte, Montana
Museum of Chinese in the Americas - New York, New York
Chinese Historical Museum - San Diego,
Wing Luke Museum -
< b>Other Resources
- Abraham, Terry, ed.,
Chinese Servants in the West: Florence Baillie-Grohman's
"The Yellow and White Agony," Asian American Comparatve
Collection Research Report, No, 2, Asian American Comparative
Collection, Laboratory of Anthoropology, University of Idaho.
- Anderson, Kay J.
"The Idea of Chinatown: The Power of Place and Institutional
Practice in the Making of a Racial Category." Annals of the
Association of American Geographers 77 (1987): 580-598.
- Arreola, D. "The Chinese Role in Creating the Early
Cultural Landscape of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta."
California Geographer 15 (1975): 1-15.
- Barth, Gunther, "Bitter Strength: A History of the Chinese
in the United States, 1850-1870" (Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard
University Press, 1964)
- Brown, Catherine L. and Clifton, W. Pannell. "The Chinese
in America." In Ethnicity in Contemporary America: A
Geographical Appraisal, ed. Jesse O. McKee, 195-216. Dubuque, IA:
- Chang, Iris, The Chinese in America : A Narrative
History, Viking Press, 2003
- Chinese Historical Society of
Southern California Publications
- Chu, Daniel and Chu, Samuel. Passage to the Golden Gate:
A History of the Chinese in America until 1910. New York:
- Fellows, Donald K. "Chinese." In A Mosaic of America's
Ethnic Minorities, 99-120. New York: Wiley and Sons, 1972.
- Gardner, A. Dudley, "The Chinese in Wyoming: Life in
the Core and Peripheral Communities," South Dakota History, 33
(Winter 2003), 380?90.
- Hart, Jerome A.,
In Our Second Century. The Pioneer Press (1931)
- Hardesty, Donald L., "Archaeology and the Chinese
Experience in Nevada," South Dakota History, 33 (Winter
- Kim, Hyung-Chan, ed., Dictionary of Asian American
History, (New York: Greenwood Press, 1986)
- King, Haitung and Locke, Frances. "The Chinese in the
United States: A Century of Occupational Transistion."
International Migration Review 14 (Spring, 1980): 15-42.
- Lee, Calvin., Chinatown, U.S.A. Garden City, NY:
- Lee, Rose H., The Chinese in the United States. Hong
Kong: Hong Kong University Press, 1960.
- Locklear, William R.,
The Celestials and the Angels: A
Study of the Anti-Chinese Movement in Los Angeles to 1882."
The Historical Society of Southern California Quarterly,
September, 1960, Vol. XLII-No. 3, pp 239-256.
- McClain, Charles J., In Search of Equality: The
Chinese Struggle Against Discrimination in Nineteenth-Century
America. (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1994)
- Murphey, Rhoads, "Boston's Chinatown." Economic
Geography 28 (1952): 244-255.
- Pfaelzer, Jean, "Driven Out: The Forgotten War Against
Chinese Americans." (Random House, New York, 2007)
- Renner, George T. "Chinese Influence in the Development
of the Western United States." Annals of the American Academy of
Political and Social Science 152 (1930): 356-369.
- Tsai, Shih-Shan Henry, The Chinese Experience in
America. (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1986)
- Sandmeyer, Elmer Clarence, The Anti-Chinese Movement in
California (Urbana: University of Illinois Press, 1991).
- Yung, Judy; Chang, Gordon H.; Lai, Mark, eds. Chinese
American Voices: From the Gold Rush to the Present
(Berkeley and London: University of California Press, 2006).
- Zhu, Liping, "A Chinaman's Chance: The Chinese on the
Rocky Mountain Mining Frontier," University of Colorado Press,
- Zhu, Liping, "Ethnic Oasis: Chinese Immigrants in the
Frontier Black Hills."
To purchase, contact email@example.com.
- ________. "Cityscape of Old Chinatowns
in North America." In Vision, Culture, and Landscape: Working
Papers from the Berkeley Symposium on Cultural Landscape
Interpretation, ed. Paul Groth, 77-97. Berkeley: Department of
Landscape Architecture, University of California-Berkeley, 1990.
- ________. "The Decline of Chinatowns in the United States."
American Journal of Sociology 54 (March 1949): 422-432.
Bok Kai Temple -
American Experience 1857-1892
in/from Latin America by UCLA faculty Dr. Clara Chu
Immigrants in Wyoming
Chinese-American Contribution to Transcontinental
The Pioneer Chinese of Utah
On Gold Mountain Smithsonian Web Page
Foreign Miners Tax, 1852
California Police Tax, 1862
Burlingame Treaty, 1868, revised
Chinese Exclusion Act, 1882, amended 1884
Scott Act, 1888
Geary Act, 1892, 1902, 1904
Alien Land Law, 1913
Oriental Exclusion Act, 1924
Chinese Exclusion repeal Act,
War Bride Act, 1945
Displaced Person Act, 1948
California Law banning interracial marriage repealed, 1948
Refugee Acts, 1948
Immigration Act of 1965 (Hart-Cellar